Start on your street

Home > Play streets > Start on your street > Play streets in four simple steps > Step two: get permission and support

Once you’re sure there’s enough interest from neighbours, you’ll need to apply to the council for permission to close the road and make sure you have enough people willing to do stewarding and other jobs. Recruiting people for these roles is also a good chance to get to know your neighbours better – you can use this sign up sheet.

You can find the contact for your council from our directory or if you are in Bristol, the council page is here. You will need to consult everyone affected by the closure using a formal consultation letter (your council may provide one) and maybe adding a more friendly cover letter.

You can read more about this stage in the Playing Out manual. If you have any questions, or would like to talk at any stage of the process, please do give the Playing Out team a call on 0117 953 7167.